In this episode, Hitesh Kapadia, co-founder and CRO of JointFlows, discusses different managerial styles, managing career progression and AE...
The Carrot & Stick Podcast #7: Learning to Lead and Make Good Hires
In this episode, Ollie Sharpe, VP of Sales at Abacum, discusses how to become a recruitment leader and ensure your team make good hires. Listen here.
This episode is available now to watch or listen on all your favourite podcast platforms here.
Welcome to the Carrot and Stick Podcast, hosted by Derry Holt, where sales managers and leaders can level up their skills and have a greater impact in their roles. In this episode, Derry sits down with Ollie Sharpe, VP of Sales at Abacum, to discuss common problems for first-time leaders, hiring excellent salespeople, and the importance of empowering your team. Here are the key takeaways from this insightful conversation:
🥕 Building a Diverse and Effective Sales Team:
- Avoid the common mistake of building a team that is too similar to yourself or the existing team members. Embrace diversity of thought and background to bring fresh perspectives and ideas.
- Look for candidates who bring unique skills and experiences that complement the existing team. Aim for a culture add rather than just a culture fit.
- Consider the rhythm of the role and the number of deals they are used to managing. Find candidates who have experience handling a similar volume and complexity of deals.
🥕 Coaching and Leading, Not Micromanaging:
- As a first-time leader, it's natural to want to be involved in every aspect of the sales process. However, focus on coaching and empowering your team instead of doing their job for them.
- Develop your coaching skills by asking intelligent questions that help your team members find the answers themselves. This approach fosters learning and growth.
- Strike a balance between being involved in important meetings and deals and giving your team members the autonomy to handle their own responsibilities.
🥕 Empowering Your Team for Success:
- Empowerment starts with valuing your team members' opinions and ideas. Ask for their input and involve them in decision-making processes.
- Delegate tasks and responsibilities to team members based on their strengths and interests. This not only empowers them but also helps them develop new skills.
- Recognise and appreciate the contributions of your team members. Give them opportunities to shine, such as presenting at team meetings or training others.
Listening to this episode of the Carrot and Stick Podcast with Ollie Sharpe provides valuable insights for sales managers and leaders. By building a diverse and effective team, coaching and leading instead of micromanaging, and empowering your team members, you can enhance your sales leadership skills and drive better performance. Don't miss out on the full episode to gain more wisdom from Ollie Sharpe.
🎧 Tune in to the full episode and unlock a treasure trove of invaluable insights that will catapult your sales leadership skills to new heights.
Listen to the full episode here